CS at U.Va.
The U.Va. Department of Computer Science is a nationally recognized leader in computer science research and education. Our department includes 28 faculty members, 80 graduate students and 680 undergraduates. Faculty are active in fundamental computer science and engineering research and are engaged in interdisciplinary initiatives with scientists, humanists, engineers in other disciplines and medical personnel.
Our graduate students transition from students to collaborators through participation in world-class research projects. Our undergraduates are involved in research and are enriched by an integrated and challenging curriculum.
Student Defense Presentations
- Vladimir Kim, Stanford University - Friday, February 27, 2015 Structure and Function in Large Collections of 3D Models
- Baishakhi Ray, University of California, Davis - Thursday, February 26, 2015 Leveraging Big Software Data to Improve Software Quality
- Bruno Ribeiro, Carnegie Mellon University - Wednesday, February 25, 2015 Mining and Predicting a Complex Networked World: Theory, Models and Applications
- Eric Wustrow, University of Michigan - Tuesday, February 24, 2015 Anticensorship in the Network
- UVA Applied Research Institute is sponsoring a one-hour disscusion on "Net Neutrality" - Wednesday, March 4, 2015. To register and learn more visit: groundsonthego.com
- Chong Tang - Thursday, February 26, 2015 Potential Benefits of Synthesis from Relational Logic Specifications
- Jason Wiese, Carnegie Mellon University - Wednesday, February 18, 2015 Enabling an Ecosystem of Personal Behavioral Data
- Abbas Naderi Afooshteh - Tuesday, February 17, 2015 Thwarting SQL Injection Attacks on Web Applications Using Hybrid Taint Inference
- Ben Rodes - Tuesday, January 13, 2015 Speculative Software Modification
- Prabal Dutta - Thursday, December 11, 2014 Scalable Sensor Infrastructure for Sustainably Managing the Built Environment
- Liang Wang - Tuesday, December 9, 2014 PEARL: A First-order Modeling Framework for Power-Efficient and Reliable Multiprocessing System
- Jian Xiang - Monday, December 1, 2014 Real-World Types and Their Uses
- Sirajum Munir - Monday, November 24, 2014 Integration of Cyber-Physical Systems for Smart Homes
- Ritambhara Singh - Tuesday, November 18, 2014 Cross-Context Prediction of Transcription Factor Binding Sites for Unannotated ENCODE Data
- Firoze Lafeer, Head of Capital One's Technical Fellows program - Thursday, November 6, 2014 Mashing banking services together in a functional reactive way
- Aadrosh Ratan, Asst. Prof., Center for Public Health Genomics - Monday, November 3, 2014 Split-alignment of Short Sequences and Subsequent Identification of Variants
- UVA announces new Engineering Dean: Craig Benson
- Engineering School Partners with Micron on Groundbreaking Processor, A Worldwide Center For Advanced Processing Research
- An article about graduate student, Philip Asare, who works with Prof. Jack Stankovic and Prof. John Lach: "Improving Design Through Research and Teaching"
- Feb. 14th 11-5: Society of Women Engineers Rose sale - Come by and by a rose!
- Revamped Princeton Review 'Best Value' Rankings lists UVA is listed as the nation's top public school for affordability, academics and career prospects
- Hoos Invent general meeting today, Friday, January 30th at 4:30 in Thornton A123. Come see what it's all about!
- Town Hall Meeting with CS Chair Kevin Skadron today 1/27/15
- Google Engineering Events on Grounds this week
- UVA Today article about Prof. Hongning Wang's research: "Anticipating Your Next Question"
- Interactive flyer for the Commonwealth STEM Industry Internship Program
- Prof. Mary Lou Soffa honored for her work in software engineering and mentorship
- Computer Science department working to meet increasing demand
- UVA's Automata Center in the news: "Micron provides a software view into new coprocessor"
- Hongning Wang has just been named one of the winners of a Yahoo Academic Career Enhancement Award, for "top young faculty members in Yahoo relevant academic areas, to help them as they start on their academic careers."
- Best Paper Award: Jiaqi Gong, Philip Asare, John Lach, and Yanjun Qi, "Piecewise Linear Dynamical Model for Actions Clustering from Inertial Body Sensors with Considerations of Human Factors", 9th International Conference on Body Area Networks (BodyNets2014), Sep. 2014.
- From CareerCast IT & Engineering Network: "The Nation's Best STEM Jobs"
- Best Paper Award: Enamel Hoque, Robert Dickerson, and Jack Stankovic, "Vocal-Diary: A Voice Command Based Ground Truth Collection System for Activity Recognition," Wireless Health, Oct. 2014.
- U.S. May Be Falling Behind in Researching Tech's Next Big Thing
- Prof. Mark Sherriff accepts the ice bucket challenge!
- Jack Davidson and John Knight and their research groups, as part of a team with GrammaTech, have been selected as one of the seven funded competitors in the DARPA Cyber Grand Challenge
- Prof. Jack Stankovic is interviewed by Microsoft about "Smart Homes, Smart Phones, and Beyond."
- Charlottesville is the #1 most exciting place in Virginia!
- Charlottesville is also the happiest city in America!
- Congratulations to Shahriar Nirjon for winning the best paper award at MOBISYS 2014!
- "What Happens When the Right App Doesn't Know What the Left App is Doing?" - Prof. Jack Stankovic
- Prof. and Chair Kevin Skadron and 3 others at UVA were Awarded Funds to Advance Research, Economic Growth in State
- Congratulations to Jack Stankovic - he has been invited to serve another three-year term on the NRC Computer Science and Telecommunications Board.
- 15 Signs You Were Born to Be an Engineer
- Average starting salaries are up for CS graduates in 2014
- UVA #1 Most Beautiful Campus
- Congratulations to Jim and Joanne Cohoon, who just got a $1.4M NSF grant.
- The atrium of Rice Hall has been named Jones Atrium for Prof. Anita Jones, with a generous donation from Leidos.
- Congratulations to Prof. Jack Stankovic - his h-index passed 100 according to Google scholar
- Prof. Kamin Whitehouse: "If Homes Could Talk"
- UVA Prof. Connelly Barnes and team have created "A Photo Filter, Just for Your Face"
- UVA Today's article on Prof. Mary Lou Soffa, "Award-Winning Computer Scientist Opens Door to Women"
- Which college and major will make you the richest? "For the best dollar-for-dollar investment, nothing beats the University of Virginia."
- Computer Science Alumnus Is an Author of New Book About Game-Based Social Skills Assessments for Children
- Brown Computer Science Blog about UVA CS Prof. Jack Stankovic
- Charlottesville is fit!